Saturday, January 24, 2009

Day 16- Beginner Skinner 1.10.09

The name is accurate because those who chose it consider themselves so. The name is their creation. It rhymes! Why wouldn't I use it? Despite the amalgamation of veterans and newbies and wannabees this was still a good stomp into, for me, new terrain. Drew was the only one who had these shots in his past and now lead this group of eight, the largest group skied in by anyone there that day. We started as far up the road up Lamb's canyon as the plow cleared, and started the trek to some beautiful steep shots that can be seen for a few seconds by drivers on I-80 westbound through Parley's canyon if they are paying attention. I had seen them because someone tld me about them a while ago, so I eye them out when the moments present themselves.

Today we wouldn't appear as more than a small line of ants, definitely not discernable at that distance to the truckers and commuters on their way to SLC. We can occasionally hear this world rushing on down below. My life is at the fringe, and the scenario now with my friends and me peaceful in the trees, and down below people big and small are racing to get ahead of each other to often elusive destinations. It is easy to be present in the backcountry. There isn't much else to do. Finished skiing? Time to put on skins and hike back up for another shot. To the top? Time to take the skins off and suit up for the down hill. Pay attention to the weather, it is changing moment to moment changing the snow, to which you must also pay attention. The panorama of nature interacting with itself is dynamic.

I watch Scotty and Monica from the back of the group. The seem to pull each other up the hill, helping each other and not willing to give up when the other is still going. It was Scotties first tour ever, and Monica's second. As I watch them struggle upward I have time and energy to put together more pieces of the mosaic of this particular experience. They thank me again for taking them out, and again apologize for being so slow. I assure them that I am enjoying the pace and the company, and I am. I didn't like the name of the tour because it sounds a little elitist. Truth be told, I love the pace and it was so cool to see these folks that only hear stories about the backcountry are kicking butt on what I wouldn't have considered and beginner tour. It was full on and the group dynamic was great. I couldn't imagine a better time!

From the summit we were treated to a view of the central Wasatch in winter from the North, the first time for me. Immediately my mind starts to put all the peaks in order by working down all the ridges between the canyons. Kurt and Drew and I discuss secret shots that are visible and rarely skied. Scotty smokes a cigarette to stop the burning. There are only a few clouds. We can see for miles. We see the Powderbirds who see us and fly on by on their way to Bountiful.

We all take fine lines in light and fluffy powder.

We skin back to the top and do it again. Big arcing turns creating rooster-tail curtains that glow with the light of the sun shining through them, that fall to the ground like broken glass then recreated fifty feet down the slope.